Yesterday, while Teddy and I were driving to the opening day of King's Road Farmer's Market (we've been waiting excitedly all winter for it to reopen), an extremely elderly woman ran a stop sign and totalled our CR-V. I could see her coming, but as I did not have a stop sign and was on a 40mph road I was unable to stop in time to avoid the accident. I hit my head on the driver's side window, but other than a couple bruises and whiplash I'm fine. Teddy seemed completely fine yesterday, but woke up complaining about his neck this morning - I feel so bad for my sweet little boy, but the soreness should go away in a couple days and, thankfully, he should be fine. I swear, the moment before I was able to look back to see that Teddy was ok was the most scared I've ever been in my whole life (We were hit on the driver's side and Teddy's seat is right behind mine - the worst of the damage is to front of the car on the driver's side, but there is damage almost as far back as the tail light). I'd like to say I was super calm and collected, but I think my hands were shaking for a good hour or two after the crash.
Teddy thought the fire truck, ambulance and police cars were awesome. He kept telling the fireman "you are a fireman" over and over. Teddy has what, as his mother, I think is an adorable way of saying absolutely everything that comes into his mind, he has a sweet soft little voice so not everyone hears him as all his thoughts come out of his mouth. The only time it is not so cute is at church during sacrament meeting. "That is a light, that is a girl, look at the baby, I want a cookie (this is a common thing he says, not that he gets cookies very often, but it is pretty obvious that he thinks about them a lot) there is the bread, that boy is bringing us bread, that boy is bringing us water"... you get the idea. When you ask him to be quiet he says "I am being quite, I am folding my arms, I am being reverent" over and over. He just doesn't quite get it :)
The couple in the car behind me witnessed the crash and pulled over. They send their kids to the same preschool as I do and, while we didn't know each other, we know a lot of the same people. They were so kind to stay with us while we talked to the police etc. and then they drove Teddy and I home. What a blessing that they were there!
I'm not sure about the status of the woman who hit me. She was quite old (as in my grandmothers who are both in their 80s look young compared to her) and the medics seemed rather concerned. Hopefully she is ok, but I don't think she should be allowed to drive anymore.
At first, I was so grateful that we could walk away from the accident that I didn't think much about our car, but I admit, although it is a material, unimportant, thing I am going to miss that car. Not to mention that we had just bought new car seats for the boys and you are not supposed to use car seats after they've been in an accident. This was literally the first day we had used them. I am so grateful that I took the time to read the instructions and install the locking clips on the seat belts etc. It took me two hours the other night and I was thinking (in sort of a grumbly, complaining way) about how we always take such measures to keep the boys safe in case we have and accident, but how we never have had an accident and so really, all this time (and not to mention money to get the safest seats) hasn't really been necessary. I am so glad now that I put in the time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment